PCOMP MIDTERM - HAUNTED BOX

PCOMPMIDTER,-3806.jpg


Monica and I worked together on this project.

Ideation:

Our very first idea was to collaborate with the theatre department on their halloween event. After discussing their needs and our skills, we decided it was best if we started with something on a smaller scale.

When coming up with ideas and thinking about what halloween was to us, we knew we wanted the dictate/control the users journey with our product.

We decided to make a “haunted box”. The journey would be as follows:

  • The box would shake in order to get the users attention

  • When the user came closer to the box, the box would open

  • At this point we assumed the user would be expecting something to pop out. We would set a delay that would get the user confused and hopefully make them feel more comfortable approaching the box and looking inside.

  • After said delay, an object would pop out of the box and trigger a sound.

Process:

With the help of Seho, we mapped out and pseudo coded our journey.

We started testing out each of our functions.

During this process we particularly struggled with getting combining all of our functions to work simultaneously using the same micro controller. For example, the delays in our blinking LED’s sequence would mess with the rest of our functions.

During this process we also dropped the shaking of the box and sequence of the box opening and then something popping out because we could not figure them out. We tested out using a DC motor to make the box shake, but our construction didn’t allow it.

Fabrication:

We then moved on to building our prototype.

Struggles and Takeaways:

Personally, I found fabrication the hardest part. We spent a lot of time troubleshooting our original plan and working on the circuits and programming that we didn’t think too much on the fabrication. We struggled with the sizes of our components as well as the fit and weight. The importance of planning out fabrication early on in the process something I will definitely keep in mind moving forward.

We also learnt that it was possible to program all sequences with the same micro controller. For the delay issue, using milli’s would’ve solved it.

We got great feedback from the class, in particular being more mindful of where the proximity is placed and how that affects the element of surprise.

Overall it was a great learning experience and we were happy that even with all the struggles and shortcomings, users were still scared and intrigued by the process.

Final Product: